Twitter is a well-liked social media platform now not simply on account of what it exposes customers to but additionally what it doesn’t. And that doesn’t simply come with the power to mute customers at the platform. Although that’s indisputably simple sufficient to perform. It additionally is going somewhat somewhat additional, with all of the equipment in position to discover ways to utterly mute phrases and words on Twitter.
That approach it’s fully imaginable to keep away from spoilers in your favourite new film or recreation. Or to keep away from conversations about subjects that have a tendency to get overblown or overheated. If you wish to have to keep away from politics, for example, that’s in reality simple sufficient to perform. And the similar is going for another subject or flip of word. Effectively taking away posts with the ones phrases or words out of your feed.
Going throughout the steps to determine all of that out, alternatively, isn’t just about as simple. And that’s for a similar causes as a few of our different how-to guides. Namely, as a result of there are other steps to apply on cellular and on desktop. But additionally as a result of iOS — for iPhones and iPads — range from Android.
So that’s precisely what this information units out to give an explanation for.
How to mute phrases or words on Twitter
As famous above, the method for figuring out the way to mute phrases or words on Twitter isn’t as simple as following a unmarried set of steps throughout all platforms. Unfortunately, that still implies that, since we don’t have an iPhone or iPad available to turn the stairs, there aren’t going to be any accompanying photographs under for the iOS phase. But, in fact, for those who’re in this website online, that most likely doesn’t subject a lot to you.
Before getting began, there are a couple of issues price noting, alternatively. Namely, you don’t wish to use phrases or words with other capitalization or punctuation. Twitter will mechanically forget about each. You too can mute mentions of accounts this fashion — however now not the accounts themselves, as there’s a distinct procedure for that — by way of muting “@” after which the username or deal with. Hashtags also are muted by means of this serve as, which is price being acutely aware of.
Now, with out additional ado, let’s get began.
From your iPhone
- Open up the Twitter app
- Locate a publish containing the key phrase or words you’d love to discover ways to mute on Twitter — or seek for a publish containing the word or phrases
- Long-press at the phrase you wish to have to mute. Twitter will provide a pop-up taste menu
- Select “Mute” from the menu
- iOS will take you to a separate web page. The web page displays choices for muting phrases. In addition to choices for the place to mute them — together with out of your timeline or notifications — and who they’ll be muted for — other folks you apply or those that you don’t. You’ll even be given an choice to make a choice how lengthy to mute them for
- Select the choices you’d like to make use of
- Tap Save on the most sensible right-hand aspect of the UI
On an Android tool …or iOS
Android doesn’t function the similar on-post, context menu-based approach to get to the muting web page. However, simply as with iOS, you’ll be able to use the total Twitter menu. So studying the way to mute phrases or words in Twitter posts at the global’s hottest cellular OS may be imaginable. And, if you wish to have to regain get right of entry to to muted phrases on iOS, this phase of the information will assist.
- Open up the Twitter software
- Tap or another way make a choice your profile icon, positioned within the most sensible left-hand nook of the UI
- In the ensuing sidebar menu, make a choice “Settings and privateness”
- Then make a choice “Privacy and protection” from the ensuing menu
- Finally, make a choice “Mute and block” to search out the suitable Settings menu
- In the Mute and block menu, faucet or another way make a choice the “Muted phrases” choice
- To upload a phrase, faucet at the plus-shaped icon and input the phrases or words you’d love to mute on Twitter. You’ll even be offered an inventory of choices for the place and from whom, in addition to for a way lengthy, to mute the phrases
- Conversely, you’ll be able to additionally apply steps one thru six right here to un-mute phrases or words, as proven within the photographs under. Including the power to long-press and delete a couple of phrases or words out of your Twitter mute listing without delay. Then, faucet the phrase or word you wish to have to take away. Select “Delete phrase” or “Change mute time”
How to mute phrases on desktop Twitter
- In your favourite browser on a desktop platform — or in desktop mode on cellular, open the Twitter web page
- Select the “More” choice from the left-hand menu
- Select “Settings and Privacy” from the ensuing menu
- Next, make a choice “Privacy and protection” after which make a selection “Mute and block”
- In the right-hand menu, make a choice “Muted phrases”
- Click — or faucet, on touchscreens — the plus-shaped icon on the most sensible right-hand nook of the UI
- Add a phrase within the box on the most sensible — we’ve opted for “spoiler” — after which alter the to be had choices, simply as on cellular
- Select the “Save” button
- Repeat for any further phrases or words you’d love to mute
- To un-mute phrases or words, go back to the menu the usage of steps one thru 5 on this information
- Select the specified phrase, for those who’d like to switch mute settings with out unmuting the phrase, as proven within the photographs under
- Select the crossed-out speaker icon subsequent to the phrase, for those who’d love to unmute it fully. Then make a choice the “Unmute” choice within the pop-up window